Eight tips on moving house
I wanted to share with you my tips on moving house.
If you are a regular reader you’ll know I moved house about 18 months ago. So fairly recently in the grand scheme of things.
Moving house is probably one of the most (if not the most) stressful thing I’ve ever done.
Apart from small accommodation changes whilst I was a student I’ve properly moved house twice- and both times I was pregnant- not really recommended, but when the time of your sale comes you just have to go with it.
So my tips are;
- Start collecting boxes as soon as you put your home on the market- most supermarkets now have a load of boxes near the checkouts.
- Buy a huge roll of bubble wrap from eBay- bigger than you think you need. You’ll use it all let me tell you.
- Get organised with regards to what you actually want to take with you, going through your possessions to pack them up is an ideal time to get rid of some of it. Have a clearout and take it to your local charity shop or put it on eBay. This does take time so the sooner you start it the better.
- Don’t forget to label your boxes. We numbered the boxes then had a notebook with the numbers in alongside what was in each box- write this in as much detail as you think you need.
- If you are doing the viewings yourself then let them in and just let them show themselves around the house but be available if they have any questions.
- Keep tabs on your estate agent. We mystery shopped ours (via a phone call) and when they didn’t mention our house, even after lots of coaxing, we knew they weren’t bothered about selling it- so we moved on to another agent.
- When you are viewing properties to move to, always go and see as many as you can. I found that houses always looked better in real life than they did on the internet.
- One way of saving money when moving house is to use an alternative/online estate agent. The major saving is that they don’t charge commission fees- so you could save around £2000 as most high street agents charge between 1.2%-2% in fees.