My Word of the Year for 2019
Last year I toyed with the idea of a “Word of the Year”.
Using a Word of the Year gives your something you can lean into and focus on. It is a much gentler way of self-improvement than the dreaded new year resolutions.
I hadn’t done it before (although I’d seen it around the web a lot) and couldn’t decide between Reading and Writing. So I chose both
Looking back on 2018 I did Read and Write, much more than previous years. I wrote a book and I read more books last year than I have for a long time. For me focusing on a Word(s) really worked.
This time I wanted my Word of the Year to be a little more generalised, something that I could apply to all areas of my life. From my finances to my website, from travel to my novel, along with health, family, friends and home.
THRIVE is my word of the year for 2019. The dictionary definition is;
1. to grow strongly and vigorously
2. to do well; prosper
Sounds good, right?
So how will this Word of the Year look, as I apply it in my life? How am I going to ensure I thrive this year?
These are some of the ways I want to THRIVE, this list isn’t exhaustive.
- It’s about pushing myself forward for things before I feel “ready”.
- It’s also about saying “no” to other things I might previously have jumped at, events, people, work, for example, that no longer serve me and my aims.
- It’s about stepping away from being everywhere online and connecting with my community in other ways, namely through my Creative Notes newsletters and here on my blog.
- It’s about using my time purposefully and not spreading myself thinly.
- It’s about looking at alternate income ideas. Something that feels more wholehearted and holistic. When I have brought sponsored content to the blog it is always authentic. It’s just a dwindling income stream for me as brands gravitate to the “sure thing influencers”.
- It’s about making sure I get enough movement and daylight. I had a hip/groin issue for most of last year, which I think I’m now finally on top of.
- It’s about learning about how to make the most of my garden and where I live. I want to grow beautiful things.
- It’s about growing and experiencing new adventures with my family.
- It’s about pushing my novel and hopefully getting an agent and then a book deal.
- It’s about cherishing my friendships and how much they help me.
Do you have a Word of The Year? Or perhaps you fancy giving it a go. Jot down a few feelings, see what comes up. How do you want to feel this year? How can you help yourself get there?
To give you an idea, on my shortlist I had the following;
I’d love to learn your thoughts on this?