Gorgeous Gingerbread Vegan Biscotti
I have rubbish allergies to dairy and eggs which means vegan baked goods are the order of the day.
You’ll need the regular baking equipment but because this is an American recipe you’ll need a set of measuring cups, you can get these for about £3-£5 from Lakeland or Sainsburys or similar.
- 1/4 of molasses (treacle)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (I used ground almonds as I’d ran out of flax seeds)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (I always use sunflower oil)
- 2 tbsp non dairy milk (I prefer rice milk)
- 1 tsp vannila extract
- 1 +3/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1+1/2 tsp ground cinamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1+1/2 tsp baking power
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 ounces crystallised ginger, finely chopped (I’d ran out of this as I’d used it all for the WI meet- I used chopped prunes for this version I’ve photographed)
Ok- so preheat your oven to 350F, Gas Mark 4, or 180C.
Add the treacle, oil, vanilla, sugar, flax seeds and non dairy milk to a mixing bowl and mix with a fork until smooth. Then add all your dry ingredients via a sieve and with a wooden spoon mix until it forms a dough (see picture below left), then knead in the crystallised ginger.
Now on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, shape the dough into a rectangle about eleven by four inches in size and even the edges and the side with the back of a spoon.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 28-30 minutes, it’ll be a bit cracked but that’s fine. Slide it (still on the paper) on to a cooling rack and leave for at least 45 minutes- I usually have to time this as I’m to eager for the next stage. Its important to switch your oven off too here as you’ll be baking the biscotti again but at a different temperature.
When the log is cooled, preheat the oven again to 325F, Gas Mark 3 or 160C. Now slice, with a big heavy knife- makes it easier honest, into about 16-18 biscotti strips. and carefully place back onto the baking tray. Bake for 22-24 minutes.
Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before placing on a cooling rack in preparation for the glaze. Make sure the biscotti are 100% cool before attempting the next step.
- 1+1/2 cups icing sugar (I find this makes too much so just use 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice ( I use a bit more as I like it really lemony!)
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest