It’s been a while since I’ve done a Word of the Year.
I’ve just read through my previous posts about my Words of the Year (find them here) and something stood out a mile for me.
The word FOCUS comes up a lot. I suppose having a word for the year is all about focusing anyway. It coaxes in a particular direction or toward a certain goal or aspect of life.
And yet, it has come as a bit of a surprise to me that FOCUS is my word for 2023.
Looking back at the process of finding a Word after having done it, it seems obvious I was always going to choose FOCUS this year, but it wasn’t on my initial list.
Here is the dictionary definition;
- the centre of interest or activity.
- the state or quality of having or producing clear visual definition.
- adapt to the prevailing level of light and become able to see clearly.
- pay particular attention to.
Its no coincidence that my recent ADHD diagnosis is playing a part in this word choice.
ADHD is the answer to so many of the questions I’ve had about my life and the way my brain works. Now I know my brain does work differently. Getting the diagnosis was a gift of both validation and explanation.
My self-awareness has deepened and the voice in my head is kinder and not scolding as it once was. This is hugely refreshing, I’m still getting used to this new internal voice and part of choosing FOCUS is for me to focus on myself and learn to work with my brain rather than against it.
Other ways I hope FOCUS will guide me;
- to help me reassess where I hang out online. I often spread myself too thin and it just doesn’t work.
- to guide on writing without distraction.
- to not compare myself with other writers and their achievements.
- to be able to take breaks and understand that I need them for long-term health
This year I have chosen two supporting words too; ESSENCE & SATISFY.
Definition of Essence.
- the intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, which determines its character.
- an extract or concentrate obtained from a plant or other matter and used for flavouring or scent
Definition of Satisfy.
- meet the expectations, needs, or desires of (someone).
- provide (someone) with adequate or convincing information or proof about something
ESSENCE is similar to FOCUS, where the crud is stripped away and the only thing that is left is the thing worth focusing on. Its also about me finding my own Essence now I have this new information about myself.
SATISFY is all about doing what satisfies me, or doing things to a satisfactory standard and not torturing myself trying to get things perfect. It’s about being Satisfied and grateful for what I have.
I used Susannah Conway’s Word resource.
For those that are curious my longlist of words went like this;
Previous Words Of The Year;
- 2018- Reading & Writing (yes, I chose two)
- 2019- Thrive
- 2020- Resilience & Revolution (two again)
- 2021 + 2022 I didn’t have any
4 thoughts on “Word of the Year 2023”
I love your choices! Picking a word for the year is so much more satisfying, because I always get a reminder throughout the year that I picked that word… This year I chose glow as my word of the year. I glow up when I’m talking about or doing something I love – that’s what I really wanted to focus on this year: the things I love doing. Drawing, painting, reading and writing. And I also wanted to glow more on the outside as well: in what I wear and how I dress… So I decided on more glitter & colour this year for me instead of always wearing dark colours. So far so good, only today I’m wearing all black. 😀
What a great choice Glow is, and it can be applied to so many parts of your life. I think that’s why these Word choices really work. Good luck with your year of GLOWING!
I love your word and your long list! I don’t have a word for this year….. yet!
Do you have a shortlist?